A. N. DIBA

BioMedCo






FAMILY MEMBERS




OF




THOSE




WITH




METASTATIC




BREAST CANCER




(MBC)








6 Nov 2020







The website of EXTRAORDINARY MOMENTS "extraordinarymoments.ca" informs about the metastatic breast cancer with a title "FAMILY MEMBERS OF THOSE WITH MBC".

In a part titled "FIRST MOMENTS" (Anne, Jeremiah) it reads:

"Being diagnosed with mBC is without a doubt a difficult experience."

The website informs, "Women who have just been diagnosed, their family members and caregivers are processing a lot of information and dealing with many emotions."

"They may feel numb, overwhelmed, frightened, in turmoil and find it hard to think clearly," says the website's information.

The information addresses, "Important questions about disease progression, genetic testing, treatment options and next steps may not all come to mind in the first moments of the diagnosis."

"However, these first moments in the journey with mBC represent a critical point where information and support gaps need to be addressed," says the additional information in the website.

The same source also explains, "This checklist has been developed to empower newly diagnosed women, their family members and caregivers along their journey and help them get the most out of the first moments with mBC."


FAMILY
MEMBERS OF
THOSE
WITH MBC:
FIRST
MOMENTS

Mariotto A et al.

"Estimation of the Number of Women Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer in the United States."


Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 2017;26:809-15.






BRCA1




And




BRCA2




Gene



Mutations:




I Know




I Have




Cancer








6 Nov 2020







On August 31, 2020, IAN DEMSKY published his article entitled "BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutations: I Know I Have Cancer, What Good is Testing?" in the website of Health Blog (University of Michigan) "healthblog.uofmhealth.org".

Ian Demsky writes, "A genetic counselor discusses how genetic testing can help guide treatment decisions as well as inform preventive measures."


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Know
I Have
Cancer,
What Good
is Testing?


The author writes, "This article is the second piece of a three-part conversation on BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations."

"Read"BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutations: The Basics" and "BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutations: I Have a Mutation, What Are My Options?," the author addresses

The writer explains, "BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations are linked to the development of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and other types of cancer."

He points out, "Genetic testing and counseling services can determine whether a person carries these mutations and, if they do, how the information could help inform cancer prevention or treatment decisions."

On September 08, 2020, Ian Demsky writes about "BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutations: I Have a Mutation, What Are My Options?"

The author writes, "A genetic counselor discusses decision-making for people who carry BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations."


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


The writer explains, "Genetic testing and counseling services can determine whether a person carries BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations and, if they do, how the information could help inform cancer prevention or treatment decisions."



The author notes, "In the second of a three-part conversation, Kara Milliron, a genetic counselor at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center's Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Clinic, discusses different ways genetic testing can be useful."


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


Ian Demsky addresses, "In the third of a three-part conversation, Kara Milliron, a genetic counselor at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center's Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Clinic, discusses some of the options patients have if genetic testing shows they carry a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation."

This genetic counselor points out, "If a patient learns that they do carry a mutation in their BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes, a genetic counselor can discuss potential options with them."

"A common option for women is to undergo increased screening, including getting a breast exam from a health care provider every six months, and also a yearly mammogram and breast MRI," says Kara Milliron.


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


Kara Milliron notes, "There are also medications that people with BRCA gene."

"There are also medications that people with BRCA gene mutations can take to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer, she says.



Milliron as the genetic counselor addresses, “Doctors call these medications ‘chemoprevention,’ but that makes it sound like chemotherapy, which it’s not.”


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


This genetic counselor at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center's Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Clinic explains:

“It is a medication that you do take for several years, and I think it's really important to have that discussion about the pros and cons and what to expect with a specialized health care provider."

"Women have to be at least age 35 and finished with family planning before they can consider taking a medication to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer because there is a risk of causing birth defects,” says Milliron


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


The genetic counselor goes on to say, "The medication that is usually given to premenopausal women is called tamoxifen, and studies point to more clear benefit for women with BRCA2 mutations."

"There are additional, related medications that are usually prescribed to postmenopausal women if tamoxifen is not a good option for those women," adds Milliron.

Milliron notes, "Some women chose to have both breasts removed — a prophylactic/risk reducing bilateral mastectomy — which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer by about 90% to 95%."

“This is obviously a very, very personal choice,” Milliron says.


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


The Michigan genetic counselor addresses, “If you look at the statistics of the women who choose increased screening with mammogram and breast MRI, and the women who choose risk reducing or prophylactic bilateral mastectomy, there is no difference in the chance of passing away from breast cancer between those two groups."

"So that is something that I think is very important for patients to know and to understand,” she adds.

She continues, "These decisions can be influenced by watching family or friends go through cancer treatment, as can family dynamics as well as cultural and religious considerations."

"Ovarian cancer is a different story than breast cancer, however."


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


Kara Milliron addresses, “I've been a genetic counselor for 22 years, and that is the only thing that has not yet changed about my job is that we still do not have a screening tool for ovarian cancer that works.”

“So for a woman who has a BRCA1 gene mutation, we usually talk about having the ovaries and the fallopian tubes removed between 35 and 40," adds the counselor.

She points out, "And then for a woman who has a BRCA2gene mutation, we usually talk about having them removed between 45 and 50.”


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


The genetic counselor at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center's Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Evaluation Clinic notes, "While the statistics vary slightly between studies, research shows this surgery can reduce the risk of developing ovarian cancer and fallopian tube cancer by 80 to 95%."

She informs, "Birth control pills are also a potential option for women with these mutations to reduce their risk of developing ovarian cancer."

“That may influence their breast cancer risk, however, so that's a conversation that we have to have,” Milliron adds.

She addresses, "Men who carry a BRCA1 or BRCA2gene mutation, are at increased risk for prostate cancer."

"And these can be more aggressive and develop at younger ages."


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?


This genetic counselor goes on to say, "For them increased screening starting about age 40 to 45 is recommended, including prostate-specific antigen, commonly referred to as PSA, testing and a digital rectal exam yearly."

“The Rogel Cancer Center is very lucky to have a prostate cancer risk assessment clinic,” Milliron says.

She adds, “So many times men are somewhat forgotten in the BRCA1, BRCA2picture.”


BRCA1 and
BRCA2
Gene Mutations:
I Have
a Mutation,
My Options?





























Flag Counter

Comments